Individual  |  Energy Assistance Programs

Individual » Energy Assistance Programs » The Home Energy Assistance Program

Summer Crisis Program

For Additional Information:

Call HEAP toll-free at (800) 282-0880 during regular business hours (7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) Monday through Friday.

For the hearing-impaired with a telecommunication device for the deaf (TTD), call toll-free number (800) 686-1557 or in Franklin County, call (614) 752-8808.


The Home Energy Assistance Summer Crisis Program provides a one-time benefit to eligible Ohioans with cooling assistance during the summer months. The program runs from July 1, 2017 to August 31, 2017.

The focus of the 2017 Summer Crisis Program is to provide bill payment assistance for persons 60 years of age and older or those with a certified medical condition. Ohioans enrolled in the Percentage of Income Payment Plan Plus Program (PIPP Plus) are not eligible for bill payment assistance through the program but are encouraged to work with their local Community Action Agency to identify opportunities for assistance.

Who is Eligible for the Summer Crisis Program?

Ohioans with a household income at or below 175 percent of the federal poverty guidelines and have a member of the household who is at least 60 years old or can provide physician documentation that cooling assistance is needed for a household member's health. For 2017 the income levels are:

Size of Household Total Household Income 12 Months
1 up to $21,105
2 up to $28,420
3 up to $35,735
4 up to $43,050
5 up to $50,365
6 up to $57,680
7 up to $64,995
8 up to $72,310

For households with more than eight members, add $7,315 for each individual.

How do I apply for the Summer Crisis Program?

Applicants must apply in-person at their local HEAP agency. To find your local agency, click here.

What do I need to include with my application:

You will need to include: proof of income for the past 12 months, a copy of your recent fuel/utility bill, proof of medical condition signed by a doctor or nurse practitioner, and a list of all household members (including Social Security Numbers).

Who can I call with questions about the Home Energy Assistance Summer Crisis Program?

You can call the Ohio Development Services Agency’s hotline (800) 282-0880 or your local community action agency by clicking here.

Frequently Asked Questions

You can apply for assistance through the HEAP Summer Crisis Program once a year.

Families who live in federally subsidized housing are not eligible unless the electric bill is in their name or they have verification that they are responsible for portion of the electric bill.

  • Household income is defined as the total annual gross income before taxes (minus exclusions) of all household members, except earned income of dependent minors under 18 years of age.
  • All income and allowed exclusions must be documented for household members 18 years of age and older regardless of relationship to the primary applicant. Heads of households and spouses may never be considered minors.
  • Gross household income includes wages, interest, dividends, annuities, and pensions.
  • Active Military Pay (Basic pay)
  • Adoption Assistance
  • Alimony
  • Annuity
  • Black Lung
  • Capital Gains - Proceeds from sale of property, home and stock
  • Cash Withdraws from Individual Retirement Accounts (IRA)
  • Child Support Received
  • Company Disability and Black Lung
  • Disability Assistance (DA)
  • Estate and Trust Settlements - minus attorney fees
  • Farm Income
  • Garnisheed Wages, including Bankruptcy/Chapter 13
  • Monetary Assistance
  • Grants/Training Stipends – living expenses only
  • Immigrant Relocation Allowance
  • Interest earned from Savings Accounts
  • Lump Sum Distribution
  • Odd Jobs
  • Pensions - Government/Veterans/Private Industry
  • Rental Income
  • Self-Employment
  • Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Social Security Disability (SSDI)
  • Strike Benefits
  • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
  • Unearned income paid to or on the behalf of minors
  • Unemployment Benefits
  • Utility Allowances (as discretionary income)
  • Wages/Tips
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Agent Orange Compensation/Benefit
  • Assets from bank withdrawals
  • Attorney's fees for Estate & Trust Settlements
  • Child Support Paid*
  • FEMA Cash Payments
  • Food Stamps/Cash Payment for food stamps
  • Funds/training stipends designated for specific purposes (i.e., educational Grants/Training stipends for tuition and/or books only-not living expenses)*
  • Handicapped Income - self-sufficiency programs (example: work expenses for the blind)
  • Health Insurance Premiums (dental, vision, health and supplemental insurance)*
  • Income earned by dependent minors less than 18 years of age
  • Loans from individuals or institutions requiring repayment of either principle or principal and interest*
  • Medicare Payments
  • Military Allowances for Subsistence, Housing, Family Separation, etc.*
  • Prevention, Retention, & Contingency (PRC) - assistance to attempt to divert families from long term financial dependency
  • Stipend for Foster Care
  • Tax refunds and rebates
  • Title III Disaster Relief Emergency Assistance Program (DREAP)
  • Title V Wages/Senior Community Employment Programs (SCEP) - Older Americans' Act (Public Law 100-175) Experience Works (formerly Green Thumb), Foster Grandparents Program, Mature Services
  • Transportation Allowances (i.e., Workforce Investment Act (WIA), Job Training Partnership Act (JTPA), Workfare
  • Work Allowances (i.e., Learning Earning and Parenting [LEAP]
  • Volunteers in Service to America (Vista) or other AmeriCorps Stipends

* These exclusions require documentation.

Yes, you can apply for the Summer Crisis Program. Contact your local Community Action Agency to apply.

You can call the Ohio Development Services Agency’s hotline (800) 282-0880 or your local community action agency by clicking here.

Summer Crisis Program Providers

Energy Assistance Programs Application