Individual  |  Energy Assistance Programs

Individual » Energy Assistance Programs » Electric Partnership Program

To be directed to your local EPP provider:

Call (800) 282-0880
For the hearing-impaired dial 711

Electric Partnership Plan (EPP)

The Electric Partnership Program (EPP) helps eligible Ohioans reduce their electricity usage in their home. The EPP provider performs in-home audits and installs appropriate electric energy efficiency measures to reduce electric usage. Customers also receive information on how they can reduce their electric use and improve their home’s efficiency.

Who is Eligible for EPP?

Ohioans are eligible for EPP if they are on or eligible for the Percentage of Income Payment Plan Plus (PIPP), having a total household income that is at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty levels.

To be eligible for the program, Ohioans must also have 12 months of electric usage at their current address, have an annual electric baseload usage of at least 5,000 kWh, and live in the service territory of American Electric Power, Duke Energy, Dayton Power and Light, or FirstEnergy.

For July 2021-May 2022, the income levels are:

Size of Household Total Household Income 12 Months
1 up to $19,320
2 up to $26,130
3 up to $32,940
4 up to $39,750
5 up to $46,560
6 up to $53,370
7 up to $60,180
8 up to $66,990

For households with more than eight members, add $6,810 for each additional member.

How do I apply?

Customers who are enrolled in electric PIPP or who are eligible for PIPP and have high energy use will be contacted by an authorized EPP provider.

If you would like to begin the application process, you can apply online at, or in person at your local Energy Assistance Provider. When you apply, you will need to complete the Energy Assistance Application English or Spanish) and submit a copy of the following documents:

  • copies of your most recent utility bills
  • a list of all household members (include birth dates and Social Security numbers) and proof of income for everyone in the household over 18 years old for the last 30 days for each member (12 months preferred)
  • proof of citizenship or legal residency for all household members

Don’t forget to sign the application. Not signing the application will delay the application process. Once you have completed your application, contact your authorized EPP provider.

Where do I get an Energy Assistance Application?

Click the link to download a copy of the Energy Assistance Program application (English or Spanish). Applications can also be found at your Home Weatherization Provider, local libraries, county departments of Job and Family Services, and Area Agencies on Aging.

Electric Partnership Program Frequently Asked Questions

Eligible customers may receive EPP once per residence.  If the customer moves, they will need to wait until they have been at the new residence for 12 months before services can be provided at the new address.

If you are facing disconnection or have been disconnected from your utility service, please call your local Energy Assistance Provider. The agency can help you identify resources to maintain your utility service.

Families who live in federally subsidized housing where the heat is included in the rent are not eligible for PIPP.

Household income is defined as the total annual gross income before taxes (minus exclusions) of all household members, except earned income of dependent minors under 18 years of age. All income and allowed exclusions must be documented for household members 18 years of age and older regardless of relationship to the primary applicant. Heads of households and spouses may never be considered minors. Gross household income includes wages, interest, dividends, annuities, and pensions.

Included (Countable) Household Income

  • Active Military Pay (Basic pay)
  • Alimony
  • Annuity
  • Black Lung
  • Capital Gains - Proceeds from sale of property, home and stock
  • Cash Withdraws from Individual Retirement Accounts (IRA), Annuities, or other investments
  • Commissions
  • Company Disability
  • Disability Assistance (DA)
  • Estate and Trust Settlements - minus attorney fees – (One-time payment or lump sum)
  • Farm Income
  • Garnished Wages, including Bankruptcy/Chapter 13
  • Grants/Training Stipends – living expenses only
  • Immigrant Relocation Allowance
  • Interest earned from Savings Accounts
  • Legal Settlements
  • Lump Sum Distribution
  • Odd Jobs
  • Ohio Electronic Child Care (Ohio ECC) – Provider Income
  • Ohio Works First
  • Pensions – Government/Veterans/Private Industry
  • Rental Income earned from rental property
  • Seasonal Employment Income
  • Self-Employment Income
  • Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Social Security Disability (SSDI) (Excluding Medicare Deductions)
  • Strike Benefits
  • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)/General Assistance (GA)
  • Unearned income paid to or on the behalf of minors
  • Unemployment Benefits
  • Utility Allowances (as discretionary income)
  • Veteran’s Administration Benefits
  • Wages/Tips
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Widows/Widowers’ Benefits

Excluded Household Income

  • Adoption Assistance
  • Agent Orange Compensation/Benefit
  • Assets from bank withdrawals (90- day rule)
  • Attorney's fees for Estate & Trust Settlements
  • Census Wages
  • Child Support Paid Out
  • Child Support Received
  • Education Assistance
  • FEMA Cash Payments
  • Food Assistance Benefit – Food Stamps, SNAP, etc. (cash or equivalent)
  • Funds/training stipends designated for specific purposes (i.e., educational Grants/Training stipends for tuition and/or books only-not living expenses)
  • Gifts
  • Handicapped Income - self-sufficiency programs (example: work expenses for the blind)
  • Health Care Spending Accounts – non-taxable health care spending accounts are allowable
  • Health Insurance Premiums (dental, vision, health and supplemental insurance)
  • Income earned by dependent minors less than 18 years of age
  • Jury Duty
  • Loans from individuals or institutions requiring repayment of either principle or principal and interest
  • Medicaid spend-down
  • Medicare Part D (prescription premium)
  • Medicare Payments
  • Military Allowances for Subsistence, Housing, Family Separation, etc.
  • Ohio waiver program
  • Prevention, Retention, & Contingency (PRC) - assistance to attempt to divert families from long term financial dependency
  • Proceeds from reverse mortgages
  • Reimbursement for work expenses
  • SS/SSI and SSDI overpayments
  • Stipend for Foster Care
  • Tax refunds and rebates
  • Title III Disaster Relief Emergency Assistance Program (DREAP)
  • Title V Wages/Senior Community Employment Programs (SCEP) - Older Americans' Act (Public Law 100-175) Experience Works (formerly Green Thumb), Foster Grandparents Program, Mature Services
  • Title XX Benefits
  • Transportation Allowances (i.e., Workforce Investment Opportunity Act (WIOA), Job Training Partnership Act (JTPA), Workfare
  • Veteran’s Affairs (VA) Service-Related Disability/including surviving dependents
  • Volunteers in Service to America (Vista) or other AmeriCorps Stipends
  • Work Allowances (i.e., Learning Earning and Parenting [LEAP])
  • Work programs for people with disabilities