Individual Services | Energy Assistance Programs

Individual » Energy Assistance Programs » Ohio's Home Weatherization Assistance Program

Energy Assistance Programs Application

Aplicacion Combinada para Los Programas de Asistencia para Energia

Ohio Development Services Agency Names 2013 Home Weatherization Assistance Program Providers, click here for more information

Ohio's Home Weatherization Assistance Program (HWAP)

The Ohio Home Weatherization Assistance Program (HWAP) is a no-cost energy assistance program designed to increase the energy efficiency of dwellings owned or occupied by income-eligible Ohioans, reduce participants' household energy expenditures, and improve participants' health and safety. HWAP is federally funded by the U.S. Department of Energy and provided to Ohioans at no cost for customers whose annual household income is at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines. Ohio's HWAP is administered through the Ohio Development Services Agency's Community Services Division (CSD) and its Office of Community Assistance (OCA).

Who Benefits From HWAP?

Households at or below the federal poverty guidelines or households receiving Supplemental Security Income qualify for this no-cost program. After weatherization, households that heat with natural gas reduce space heating consumption by an average of 24.7 percent, and electrically heated homes reduce usage on average of 13 percent. HWAP participants increased the percentage of utility bills that they pay and the rate of disconnections of utility service for this group decreased by 50 percent.

Am I Eligible for HWAP?

Any individual, homeowner, or renter with an income that falls into the federal government's poverty guidelines can apply for services under the HWAP. As required by the federal government, HWAP providers give priority to people over the age of 60 and those with disabilities. The local agency's review of your application will determine your eligibility for services.

What are the eligibility criteria/guidelines for the HWAP?

  • All families who have received assistance any time during the last 12 months under the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Home Energy Assistance (HEAP) (does not include Emergency HEAP) are automatically eligible for weatherization services.
  • Households that are not located in federally subsidized housing and do not supply their own primary heat source (i.e., owns a gas well or cuts its own wood) will generally be eligible for services if they meet the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services income guidelines listed below:
Size of Family Poverty Guideline
1 $23,340
2 $31,460
3 $39,580
4 $47,700
5 $55,820
6 $63,940
7 $72,060
8 $80,180

For households with more than eight (8) members, add $8,120 for each additional member.

Are there any cash benefit payments involved in the weatherization program?

No. The HWAP provides direct service to dwelling units. No cash benefits are passed through directly to the eligible households.

What types of services are available under HWAP?

The HWAP is not a rehabilitation or maintenance program. The following weatherization measures may be done to your home if you are eligible for services. A home inspection is completed to determine the most cost-effective weatherization services for each home. The services may include:

  • Safety Inspection, tune-up/repair, and if necessary, installation of heating units
  • Insulation of attics
  • Insulation of sidewalls
  • Insulation of heating ducts
  • Insulation of floors
  • Insulation of water tanks
  • Reduction of air leakage from major sources
  • Personalized Energy Management Plans

Is there a deadline for applications to be submitted?

No, but there is a limit to the number of households that can be assisted because of the available funding.

What is the state's role with the HWAP?

The HWAP is administered by the Ohio Development Services Agency's Office of Community Assistance (OCA).The OCA Weatherization Section oversees the weatherization program. The Department contracts with providers across the state to ensure that citizens in all 88 Ohio counties receive weatherization services. The OCA monitors the weatherization providers for compliance with regulations and established policies and procedures, evaluates actual accomplishments against planned activities, and determines the effectiveness of the HWAP policy. Monitoring provides objective reporting to and from sub-grantees and when appropriate, makes recommendations to address program and administrative deficiencies and needs. Annually, OCA administrative monitors review 10 percent of the completed units' files while the technical monitors review a minimum of 5 percent of the completed units.

HWAP has weatherized more than 304,000 dwellings in Ohio since 1977. This will result in a reduction of 376 million pounds of carbon dioxide emissions, 840 thousand pounds of nitrogen oxide, and 2.3 million pounds of sulfur oxide. Statewide, HWAP has created approximately 403 skilled jobs that provide energy conservation services. Numerous other subcontractors and suppliers benefit from this work. HWAP has served as the model for the development of energy efficiency programs offered by Ohio's utility companies.

If I want additional information for receiving assistance, who do I contact? Additional information about the HWAP can be obtained from the local weatherization provider in the area where you reside. You may also contact the Office of Community Assistance at (800) 282-0880 for the telephone number of the local provider. Who Are The Local HWAP Providers? As provided in the federal regulations, Ohio's HWAP is carried out by Community Action Agencies and other public and nonprofit entities. A list of the local weatherization providers is available. The web page shows a map of the state. Click on the desired county to see the contact information for the local weatherization provider.

How Do I Apply For Weatherization Services?

An applicant needs to complete the Combined Energy Assistance Application (also known as the Home Energy Assistance Program or HEAP application). The applicant should complete the application, contact the local weatherization provider, and notify the provider of interest in the weatherization services. The application can also be mailed to the Office of Community Assistance at 77 South High Street, P.O. Box 1001, Columbus, Ohio 43216-1001. The applicant can access a listing of weatherization providers and request weatherization service from the local provider. Please note the waiting list for assistance (after eligibility has been determined) varies from provider to provider and, in some cases, could be months.